Newbie- help with libraries

I just decided to teach myself C++ with an online tutorial.  I've tried at
least three different "Hello World" programs, but gcc refuses to compile
them.  Every time I run it, I get errors like "Undefined reference to
'std::cout'" -- basically, error messages for every line of the source.

After a bit of googling, I think that the problem is a lack of standard
libraries.  My gcc program is in '/usr/bin', and there is a directory,
'/usr/bin/libstdc++v3', where I assume the libraries should be. But the only
thing in there is a text file describing how to put together a library.

Am I assuming correctly that this is where the libraries should be? If so,
where can I get some to put in there? If I'm just being stupid and looking
in the wrong place, then where are my libraries, and how can I get gcc to
recognize them?

For reference, this is a brand new Slackware install on a 500 MHz AMD k6.

Thanks in advance,
Ed
Sent from the gcc - Help forum at Nabble.com.