What is a .exe.stackdump file?

 When I run a .exe file (Fortran code)
the program hangs up at the end and
gives a .exe.stackdump file.
 I read in the gdb guide what a stack is.
Can I use only the .exe.stackdump file to debug the
program?
I tried
gdb prog.exe.stackdump and it is not working.
Do I have to run the program again in gdb and examine
 the stack?

                                             Thank
you.

Victor MARIAN
Department of Machine Elements and Tribology
University Politehnica of Bucharest
Spl. Indepentendei 313
060042 Bucharest
ROMANIA