help spawning/executing a command line utility

I'm using gcc v4.0.1 on Ubuntu Linux.

I want to incorporate calls to command line utilities in my C++ for test purposes. These utilities require parameters, but return no information to my C++ program.

I can't find the proper function to use.  spawn/execute/pexecute?

All I've found in my /usr/include directory is spawn.h, and it includes a bunch of functions starting with posix_. Before I start playing around with these "undocumented" functions, could somebody:

 - tell me the easiest way.
 - the necessary library to link to.
 - where any online documentation is located at?