RE: Huge obj file size with GCC3.2!

Olivier Langlois writes:
> Maybe it has something to do with my compilation switches
[...]
> -Wall -fno-common -fno-exceptions -O1 -fforce-mem
[...]

'man gcc' tells us:

      -fno-common
           In C, allocate even uninitialized global variables in the data sec-
           tion of the object file, rather than generating them as common
           blocks.  This has the effect that if the same variable is declared
           (without "extern") in two different compilations, you will get an
           error when you link them.  The only reason this might be useful is
           if you wish to verify that the program will work on other systems
           which always work this way.

That looks like your ``issue''...