strength reduction and other optimizations

Hi, Everybody,

Various people disagree about whether I should multiply by a reciprocal
when I could do a floating point division instead.  Others tell me that
it's best to let the compiler replace integer division by a power of two
with a right shift.  If I do either optimization by hand, will that
prevent the compiler from noticing other optimizations it could do?
I've read somewhere that I should let C compilers do the optimizations
I've described.  Is that true about gcc's C compiler?  Is it bet for me
to trust it to do optimizations I could do?

Thanks.

Bill
"Pro-choice?"  Then click here.
http://cathinsight.com/morality/saying.htm

"Men must look for the peace of Christ in the Kingdom of Christ... When
once men recognize, both in private and in public life, that Christ is
King, society will at last receive the great blessings of real liberty,
well-ordered discipline, peace and harmony."  Pope Pius XI