Failed on 'make install'

Dear all,
I am trying to install release gcc-4.1.1 on my Linux PC. It is the first time I install gcc myself so sorry if this issue was raised previously. The bootstrap stage goes fine. Then, typing 'make install' finishes, but reports many errors in using the 'install' program and leaving me with a badly installed gcc (e.g. libgcc_s.so.1 is not copied to the lib directory). I looked in the Makefiles and install.cache and I figured out the problem was that the choosen 'install' program is not /usr/bin/install but rather a non-compatible script provided by the RSI company to install the IDL and ENVI programs (/usr/local/rsi/envi/bin/install). Unfortunalty, these RSI directories come first in my PATH. Thus, fixing this issue boils down to either defining the INSTALL env. variable on the 'make install' command line or modify the configure script to exclude */rsi/* directories in the search for a "BSD compatible" install program just like others SySV or AIX4 install programs are excluded (configure script, around line 700). Indeed, once the configure step is done and the wrong INSTALL variable is expanded in all Makefiles, it is quite difficult to correct the situation, especially if you already launched 'make install' once.

Let me know if you have some comments/questions concerning my specific installation.
Thomas