Re: what cflag/march to use for intel core duo l2400?

Tim Prince wrote:
George Nychis wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering what march to specify in my cflags for the Intel Core Duo L2400 processor. The gentoo-wiki says that the safe cflag is prescott, but I figured I would ask here to find the optimal for this processor, or if the prescott is truly the safest/optimal.

The wiki might be right, if you are using the same gcc version they have in mind. How are we to know? Might there a conflict between safety and optimality? Do you disqualify gcc-4.2 on grounds of safety? Surely, it would often generate better code, and avoid the question of what -march option to choose.

I'd prefer sticking to gcc-4.1

Check out this response i got on the lkml about the architecture:
>> My guess is the "Pentium-4/Celeron(P4-based)/Pentium-4 M/Xeon" >family,
>> but maybe someone has a different opinion or can support it.
>>
>> Here is the /proc/cpuinfo:
>> processor       : 0
>> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
>> cpu family      : 6
>> model           : 14
>
>[snip]
>
>"Pentium-4/Celeron(P4-based)/Pentium-4 M/Xeon" are all family 15, not >family 6.
>
>I have a Pentium M, it's family 6 model 13. Also, AFAIK the Intel Core
>is based on the Pentium M (which in turn is based on Pentium III). So,
>my personal best guess would be to choose "Pentium M".
>
>Unfortunately, I don't have one of these (Intel Core) at this point,
>so I can't test it myself...

So, this person has a pentium m, and /proc/cpu info says his processor belongs to family 6... as you can see, mine also belongs to family 6... so even though the wiki stages march=prescott, what do you guys think?

- George