Re: Government Requirements - Proprietary Software

Richard Stallman writes:
 >     I do believe I've tried it - unless I'm doing something wrong. GNU
 >     Java is installed and Java enabled in my browser (Firefox 1.0.8). But
 >     when I click "start" from this page -
 >     http://www50.statcan.ca/census2006/ - I get the following message
 >
 > 	Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements to access this site
 >
 > 	This site requires that Java is enabled in your browser. To modify
 > 	your browser, follow the steps outlined below....
 >
 > I think that message comes from the site.  Can you look at the HTML
 > and try to figure out what code causes it?
 >
 > Maybe its method of testing for "Java" actually tests for Sun's Java.

In order to run applets in a web browser, you don't just need a Java
VM, you also need a browser plugin.  gcjwebplugin exists to do this
job, but the census page relies on the Liveconnect Javascript - Java)
bridge, and gcjwebplugin doesn't have that at all.

So the answer is no, you can't access the Canadian census web
interface using free software.

Andrew,
GNU gcj maintainer