Re: cannot bind packed field error

Hi Christoph,

> Is this an error in the compiler or is there a mistake in the code?

I think (but I'm not sure) that it is a mistake in the code.

In that the alignment and packing constraints of a.b.c are different from a
plain old int& and int const&.

On some platforms, it may be that they happen to be compatible.  But on
other platforms, maybe not.

By "platform" I mean the hardware architecture + OS (and particular version)
+ compile (including the particular compiler version).

> I expect, that if the compiler really is not able to bind the value to an
> int&, then it tries to bind the value to int const & as this is done with
> temporaries for example.

It won't create a temporary.  But if you want it to, you can do this:

  func(a.b.c + 0);

HTH,
--Eljay