Re: problem with '-pg' switch..

Hi Jim,

Sounds a bit odd - have you tried doing something in this no-op function. e.g.

void noop() {
   int a;
   a = 1;
   a++;
   return
}

And see if that makes a difference? Perhaps the problem is elsewhere but shows up here. Also GCC 3.2.2 is very old now - you're basically four or five major releases behind - 3.3, 3.4, 4.0 and 4.1 I'd give 3.4.x or 4.1.x a go.

Cheers,
David.

jim marshall wrote:

Hello,
I am having a problem when using the -pg compile switch with my application, and was hoping someone might be able to assist somehow. I have a fairly large application which compiles and runs fine, I wanted to do some profiling on it so I added the "-pg" compile switch to my release build. Now when I start the application it gets a "segmentation fault" when it is starting. Looking in the debugger it is failing in a function which is basically a no-op in our release build - all it does is "return;".

The program consists of a fairly generic executable, this executable calls into a shared object (implicitly) which starts the real processing. This shared object implicitly and dynamically links to other shared objects. However; it seems to crash before it gets to any other shared objects. The main executable calls the stub function in the primary shared object and the process seg faults.

Here is some information about my environment

gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Red Hat 9.0 (no patches)
Linux wbempc 2.4.20-8 #1 Thu Mar 13 17:54:28 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

compile options for main executable
cc -D_LINUX -Wall -D__USE_ISOC99 -D__USE_POSIX -D_COMPILE_UNIX -z defs -pg -O2 -D_UNICODE -DUNICODE -lourlib

compile options for shared object (ourlib):
cc -Wall -D_LINUX -fpic -pg -O2 -shared -D_COMPILE_UNIX -D__USE_ISOC99 -D__USE_POSIX -D_UNICODE -DUNICODE -D_REENTRANT -z defs

Thanks in advance
Jim Marshall