Re: Question about RTL for bitwise AND

Hi Ian,

Thanks again. I do agree that my costs calculation do not recurse into
the sub-expressions, but I was just mimicing other ports in this
regard (see rs6000 for instance) . They do not recurse into
sub-expressions as well.

Also, I think I traced the problem to fold-const.c::fold_single_bit_test()

      /* If we have (A & C) != 0 or (A & C) == 0 and C is a power of
         2, then fold the expression into shifts and logical operations.  */
      tem = fold_single_bit_test (code, arg0, arg1, type);
      if (tem)
        return tem;

Commenting the above code out, makes the compiler spit out the right
expression -- direct bitwise AND. Comments at the top of the function
also seem to indicate that this is considered an optimization!
haven't dug into this to see why this was considered so. This constant
folding might be suboptimal depending on features available on the
target machine.

I have also checked that GCC 4.0.1 code has not changed in this
behavior. The same transformation is present in fold-const.c

Please advise.

On a related note, it looks the if-conversion phase as well, chooses
to use a bunch of shifts and other logical operations to convert a
branch into linear code. This is fine, except that the resultant
operations prove more expensive than a branch. I will take a closer
look at the IFCVT_* macros and see if one of them is useful for
catching these conditions.

thanks,
Matt