Re: py2app - apple gcc4.0.1 - universal binaries - problems and questions

Dear Bob Zac and all,

We are trying to use py2app to make a OSX .app (preferably universal)
of our open source biomedical imaging software, BioImageXD.

see
http://www.bioimagexd.org
for the source code

I have a working source code version on a G5 machine, but I am having trouble
getting a working .app using py2app.

first a little background.
BioImageXD is written in python (of course!) and uses wxPython for the GUI. however it relies heavily on the open source Visualöisation Toolkit (VTK) which is written in C++ and has python wrappings so the libs are available to
python.
We are using a customised version of VTK, not the one you can download,
that fixes some specific problems of ours, so we have to compile our own versions
of the shared libraries  on OSX , linux and windows .

questions/problems

1) I run py2app with the python code below, but it fails to launch... get to the splash screen
then complains about :
"BioImageXD error
an unexpected error has occurred during execution of the main script."

So we are still failing to add all the required dependencies... but I cant see how to fix it...?
any clues?

2) how can I make a universal binary? We compile VTK C++ code using cmake and apple gcc 4.0.1. Can I get apple gcc to make universal binaries, which will then work with a universal binary python and py2app?
How would I do that?

What about the architecture specific compiler flags?
Can I just use -fast to get optimization for intel and ppc architectures in the same universal binary?

I dont know how to approach this problem.
Are there some gcc compiler flags I need to use to generate universal binary shared libraries?
Or do I have to make ppc and intel libraries, then lipo them together?
What is the best way to make a universal binaries without using Xcode, and have py2app
turn them into a universal binary BioImageXD.app application bundle?
(Can I do it without using X code? Can python work with C++ in Xcode?)

Your help and wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

Dan White - bioImageXD team

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box 35
University of Jyväskylä