Don't know if my previous message got through....

I didn't receive a copy of my message that I sent even though I am subscribed - please excuse me if it is a duplicate, but I think it may have gotten lost in transit. I'm including it below:

Subject: Using '-whole-archive' on ".a" files to produce ".so" files - what's the point of '-fPIC' on x86?

Hi,

On several occasions I've used the '-whole-archive' flag of ld via -Wl on gcc to convert .a files to .so files. I can't understand why libtool has to compile things twice, once using -fPIC and once not using it - I checked the resulting object files and the -fPIC files are bigger, and yet I've never needed to use that flag when doing my .a to .so conversions.

Could someone explain this to me? Isn't compiling twice with libtool redundant and a waste of time?

Thanks