Re: compile choices changing results

So, do my answers below point to the gcc compiler switches
-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops
and should this really produces different results in the
number crunching?

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Neil Ferguson wrote:

> Hello -
>
> We need more information:
>
> - what version of which OS are you using?
          Linux and I was told gcc and cc are the same in linux.  But,
I do anticipate running on other operating systems where they won't
be the same.   So, the LINUX v. is RehHat Linux 7.3

> - what version of GCC?
          2.95.3

> - what hardware/CPU architecture are you running on?
          Gateway intel pentium III, i686

> - is 'cc' actually an alias or symlink for 'gcc', or is it another compiler
> altogether? Even if 'cc' points to a different version of GCC, that can be
> significant.
        Yes, there was a symbolic link to gcc.

> Semi-educated guess - are you compiling for x86?
      i686