Re: Question about assembly produced by gcc

Yannis Haralambous <yannis.haralambous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi, I have a small question about assembler code generated by gcc:
> when I compile the trivial program main () {} with gcc -O0 I get the
> following lines

At -O0 gcc puts absolutely no effort into generating optimal code.
It's not generally all that interesting to ask why the -O0 code is
bad.  It is normally just because there is some general optimizer
which will improve it, but that optimizer is not run at -O0.

Please feel free to ask about generated code at -O1 or higher.

Ian