GCC Error: byte or halfword not valid for base register -- `strb r3,[sp]'

Hello,

help needed.
May be this is a simple & easy solving bug, but we have not yet a solution.
This is the first time we write to the mailing list, so pls. sorry for
anything wrong.
Preamble:
1) We don't know GCC and it's make file structure. We use it since a year as
part of a third party IDE tool, which use GCC (v.3.0.4) as compiler engine
for an ARM board.
2) This IDE runs in a W2000 SP3 PC, equipped with a Visual .NET (or VC++
also) support for editing (via script files).
3) This GCC bug was silent, because till past week there was no news about,
in a 3.000 lines program . Writing simple programs, doesn't show the bug.
4) We haven't changed anything in the GCC SW revision, nor in the tools
using it.
5) We already tried to apply the fix suggested at
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-prs/2001-11/msg00252.html>, but placing -O1 gives
other errors, not as compiler but in the (fragile) IDE.
6) It seems there is no recent upgrade of these tools, so the problem should
be solved (patch, new GCC version ?) in the compiler corner.
7) There is a compiled library linked with our C program, so we don't have
access to the source to find exactly "where".

How to go over the problem ?

If any information needed, please tell us.

Thanks to everybody
M.Casoni