C++ Templete Instantiation Problem

 I am trying to compile some C++ code using the g++ version 2.96 in a Red
Hat Linux ia64 box.
 And while compiling one of the file which has a lot of code for template
instantiations I get the following error:
	 __gp does not cover short data segment
 moreover compilation of this file takes about a day and then finally I get
the above error.
 I have also tried fragmenting the code into different files even that did
not work and I got some other kind of error:
 	gnu.linkonce relocation truncated to fit: PCREL21B

 If anybody has ever encountered such errors may be he/she can help us with
the workaround available.

 With regards
   Kriti.