Re: Compiling gcc sources under MSVC

Alexander wrote:

>   My purpose is use only MSVC to build GCC. It is not impossible,
>   because GCC's sources are ANSI C compliant, but seems very hard due
>   to many specific *nix - dependencies, such as unistd.h(Am I wrong?) and others.
>   I worked with MSVC many years, so it will be very dufficult to change my
>   course :)
>   And it will be great surprise to all Win-developers who want explore
>   complicated GCC's code  - convinient VS.Net IDE, powerfull Boundchecker and
>   exciting VisualAssist! :)

I still don't think it's possible.  Even if you got gcc to bootstrap
with MSVC, the only thing that would be compiled by MSVC would be the
stage 1 xgcc - which would then be used to compile stage 2, and so on.
So the final gcc would be compiled by gcc, not by MSVC, and would have
gcc debug information (stabs or dwarf2) not MSVC debug information (.pdb
/ codeview) and there would be no way to debug it using the visual
studio tools.  As far as I know (and I could be wrong) the only part of
gcc that is pure ANSI is this stripped down C-only stage 1 compiler,
with the actual full gcc requiring itself to compile.

And that's assuming that you used the command line cl.exe/link.exe and a
port of bash and make so that you can run all the existing build
scripts.  If you're actually talking about trying to use the IDE and
create a visual studio project to do the build, then you're even farther
out in space.  You would certainly have a great deal of work to do it
that way and I can't even see the reason anyone would want to do it, for
the reason above that you'd only be compiling the stage 1 bootstrap
compiler with MSVC anyway.

Brian