Cross compiler for M68040.

Hello.
I have two issues. I hope this is the right forum, if not please inform me where to turn to.

ISSUE 1
I want to download a interruption routine on to a M68040 but I get only 0 for all internal parameters in the routine when it is executed. The operating system calls this routine and set an error flag if it is not ready in a specified time. This error flag does not get set so the routine returns properly to OS.
Maybe something is wrong in the way I compile,assemble and link the routine.
I have a gcc cross-compiler with the following version.
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
GNU ld version 2.11 (with BFD 2.11)
I compile all C-source with:
m68k-coff-gcc -x c -c -m68040 -save-temps    (This gives object code.)
I assemble part of the routin programmed in Motorola Assembler with:
m68k-coff-gcc -x assembler -c    (This gives object code.)
I link all object code with:
m68k-coff-gcc --oformat=srec -M -cref -T script1.ld(map for memory) -o
Does anyone know if there is something I need to add. I have studied the gcc manual very much.

ISSUE 2
I would like to upgrade my crosscompiler. My current cross-compiler is installed using a script I found. Is there a similar script available for the new versions of gcc, binutils and newlib.
gcc-3.4.3
binutils-2.15.96
newlib-1.13.0

Thank You