catching linux output in C|C++ variable.

For byte by byte comparison of 2 files the linux function `cmp` works a great
many times faster than a written C-program which exits at first difference
found.

But `cmp` returns a bool for 'equal or not equal' and writes the position of
the first byte found different to <stdout>, which I of course can redirect to
disk and reread from disk.

But I do not want to spoil the time on xx00 GB of files and copy the number
directly ( via environment, fork or assembly ) into a C|C++ variable for
further processing and skip the diskwrite.

Can anybody tell me how to realize that or where to find the info? It is not
in Richard Stevens and I cannot find the source of `cmd` on my Suse 8.2
system.

Thanks

Nieuwenhuizen

                     Prof. Ir. J.K. Nieuwenhuizen