Re: malloc and casts

Andrew Hardy wrote:

I don't really undrstand what you're trying to achieve, but it looks a bit

I am trying to parse a bitstream, with minimal CPU usage, ie without using too many a malloc().

suspicious that you have pointers as part of your structs, this may give
issues when you cast if you think you have structs wholely within structs.

I think this was the problem i have been facing..

Would something like this help??

char *ptr;

// where storage contains what you want in enough space to coopy it out
into your structs.
ptr = storage;

memcpy(somestruct, ptr, sizeof(somestruct));
ptr += sizeof(somestruct);

memcpy(somestruct, ptr, sizeof(somestruct));
ptr += sizeof(somestruct);

memcpy(somestruct, ptr, sizeof(somestruct));
ptr += sizeof(somestruct);

etc...

where your structures don't include pointers and where somestruct is the
current of a number structures or if you require current of a number of
substructures that you require to have in one struct.

Hmm, You mean to say, use the structs without the pointers ?

Thanks,
Manu