Possible incompatibility of gcc-3.3.3 with <iostream>?

Hello,

I reported a difficulty I was experiencing in
compiling with gcc-3.3.3. I just realised that if I
omit <iostream>  header file, and instead used
<stdio.h>, gcc-3.3.3 compiles! It also does not seem
to flag <ostream> or <fstream>. Perhaps this has been
treated elsewhere, but I haven't succeeded in
retrieving such a discussion from the archives. I
would appreciate any information on how to overcome
this, as I would have to rework a whole ton of code to
remove all references to 'std::cout' -which gcc-still
flags as undefined. I could still ignore gcc and use
g++, but my code calls in BLAs libraries and I suppose
gcc is needed for the language transfer from C++ to
Fortran.

Thanks a lot!

-Tobe.