Re: Free-Standing and Non-OS Dependent

Sriharsha Vedurmudi wrote:

contract in which it mentioned everything (all porting work) as 'NON-OS DEPENDENT FUNCTIONALITY ONLY' (which they call as 'Free-Standing Implementation'). (First, Im confused if Non-OS Dependent Functionality and Free-Standing are one and the same?). Finally, they have delivered a

'free standing' is a term defined in the C std. You need to read that to know what it means. The std defines the minimal functionality that need be provided for such an evironment.

'non-os dependent functionality' is not such a term. Your contract with
the supplier will need to define what it means. I can't tell you.

the functionlity is very limited, meaning we could not do anything like malloc, printf, strcat, sin, cos, etc. They say that all this is NOT

some of those functions require operating system features -- like getting memory from somewhere, or for doing IO, so they _cannot_ exist on a free standing environment (what would they do?). Others do not need such facilities, but might or might not be optional in a freestanding environment. You need to check the std. 'non-os dependent functionality' might indicate that something more than a bare freestanding environment is provided -- it's a different term, so presumably it means something different. I don't know -- only you, your supplier and the contract can tell you that.

nathan

nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    ::     http://www.planetfall.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk