Re: Modifying gcc.

Niko Matsakis <niko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> - Is there a switch to dump the IR from the compiler between passes /
> enable debug out?  I remember I found one a long time ago, but I've
> forgotten where.

See the -d option and the various -fdump- options:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/Debugging-Options.html#Debugging-Options

> - The only guide to gcc internals I have found is
>
> 	http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/
>
> Are there other documents I should be looking at?  I am hoping for
> something that shows each pass of the compiler, explains which IR is
> in use at that time, etc.

That is the only document there is.  There is some other more-or-less
helpful information on the gcc wiki:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/

> - It mentions GENERIC, GIMPLE, C/C++ Trees, and RTL as various IRs of
> the gcc compiler.  I cannot find anything in the source that
> references GIMPLE or GENERIC; I just did "find . -name '*.[ch]' |
> xargs grep -i
> GIMPLE" and nothing came up.  Am I missing something?

Which sources are you looking at?  The on-line manual always describes
the mainline sources in CVS.  GENERIC and GIMPLE were added after the
3.4 release.

> Let me know if this is not the right list for these kind of questions,
> 'cause I'm sure I'll have a bunch more. :)

This list is OK for general questions like this.  More specific
questions can be taken to gcc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ian