RE: Trying to build crosscompiler for Sparc Solaris 8 -> SparcSolaris 10 (& others)...

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 10:28 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for your attention, Dave. I checked the script I'm using to build
and I actually am using an absolute path to gcc's configure, despite
what I wrote in my original mailnote.

As for the prefix... you're right, I should be adding $prefix/bin to my
path. I was adding $prefix in my script, but lo, I had already added
$prefix/bin to my path in my shell. I'll fix my script, but that won't
have any impact on the problems I'm facing. You see, the 'as' being
called was in fact the one in $prefix/bin, but the problem is that
$prefix is a holding place for binaries with multiple targets.
$prefix/bin/as is a Sparc Solaris 8 binary with a Sparc Solaris 8 target
(eg --version "This assembler was configured for a target of `sparc-sun-
solaris2.8'."). However, $prefix/bin/i586-sun-solaris2.10-as is a Sparc
Solaris 8 binary with an i586 Solaris 10 target (--version "This
assembler was configured for a target of `i586-sun-solaris2.10'.").

It seems like either Makefile should be using $AS_FOR_TARGET (which
would expand to 'i586-sun-solaris2.10-as'), instead of $AS (which is
just 'as') OR the .s file being assembled should be using Sparc assembly
instructions instead of x86. I assumed the former was the case, and that
let me get further in the build, so that's what I've stuck with for
now...

--
Aaron Gaudio           agaudio @ eng.mc.xerox.com           585-422-6876
               madcap @ irc://rockhopper.eng.mc.xerox.com