Re: How does the gcc -g option affect performance?

Yes, there's a large performance penalty.  (1) most optimizations
can't be done because they foo with the debug data, thereby hurting
debuggability (2) bloated code is slow code.

Normally I expect my code to run about an order of magnitude slower with -g.

  Brian