Re: OBJCOPY Help Needed

"Swiger, Dan" <Dan.Swiger@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I am currently using "gcc version 2.9-nios-010801-20030722".
> This is the GCC for the Altera NIOS SOC processor.  We have,
> for some time, been using the objcopy command
> (nios-elf-objcopy) to generate S-Record simply for our own
> amusement.  At some point, however, we will have to use them
> to burn the code into FLASH.  I noticed today that the
> S-Records generated by objcopy are byte-oriented.  Is there a
> way to make it generate word-oriented S-Records... by this, I
> mean to always have an even number of bytes on a single
> S-Record line.  That way, we can avoid having to keep track
> of addresses, odd-bytes, and what-not when building and
> burning our S-Records into FLASH.

objcopy is part of the GNU binutils, and questions about it should be
directed to the binutils mailing list.  See
    http://sourceware.org/binutils/

That said, I think objcopy should normally generate an even number of
bytes on an S-record line, unless, of course, the section has an odd
number of bytes.  So you should just ensure that your sections always
have an even number of bytes.  With an odd number of bytes, there
isn't much that objcopy can do.

Ian