reading profile information

Hello

I am trying to make execution record / replay debugger for custom threading library. Debugger is an extension to gdb. Everything is running on i386 / Linux platform. Newer versions of gcc are used (3.2+).

What I need is to save execution state whenever signal occurs, so I can know when to deliver signals in replay runs. In older versions of gcc there was -a command line option which would be suitable for my needs. In new versions this option was replaced with -fprofile-arcs. I could achieve what I need if I could read profile information (arc counts) from executing program. It would be enough to read only counts in deterministic order (I don't need any other basic block information or anything else). I hope this make sense.

What I saw from disassembly of a program compiled with -fprofile-arcs is that some 64 bits ints are incremented on calls, jumps etc (these are the counters I need). Debugger is reporting that they are relative to variable completed.1. Also I saw new (compared to disassembly of same program compiled without -fprofile-arcs) variable bb_head which points to a location reported to be relative to variable p.0.

Any help is appreciated.

Aleksandar