FILE *foo = stderr; ==>`initializer element is not constant'

When trying to compile a c file using stderr, I have the declaration:
FILE *foo = stderr;
and it keeps giving me "Initializer element is not constant". I was wondering what could be done to preven this error from happening. I'm not sure if this is incorrect code or what, but any help would be appreciated.

The file is a short one, it is:
#include <stdio.h>
FILE *foo = stderr;

and it gives me the error on line 2.

Any assistance that you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Richard Baldwin.