From: gcc-help-owner@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gcc-help-owner@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Roman Pagac
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 9:51 AM
To: lrtaylor; eljay@xxxxxxxxx; gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Linking dynamic a static libraries

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for your answers. I have only two questions:

1. In GCC manual I have found completely different explanation of
compilation option -B (see
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/Directory-Options.html#Direc
tory-Options
and I could not find explanation for option -Bstatic and -Bdynamic). I
am
using GCC 3.3.2 and OS SunOS rel. 5.9.

2. I am linking some static libraries (i.e. library code should be added
executable file or ?) but I think executable file size is too small (if
compare it with size of static libraries). Here is statement for
creating of
my executable:

gcc -o executable_name -v ObjectFile1.o ObjectFile2.o
-L/opt/sybase/OCS-12_0/lib
-L/opt/builds/libraries -lm -lsocket -lnsl -ldl -laio -W1,-Bstatic -lct
-lcs
-ltcl -lcomn -lintl -lblk -W1,-Bdynamic -W1,-Bstatic -ltmpsyb -lssclstd
-W1,-Bdynamic

Size of executable_name file is about 129KB. But static libraries which
I am
linking e.g. libct.a (1,032KB), libcs.a (122KB), libtcl.a (537KB),
libcomn.a
(749KB), libintl.a (82KB), libblk.a (166KB). Is it OK the size of the
executable? I thought that size of executable must be much bigger (if
you
look at sizes of the static libraries). Or am I doing (or understanding)

something wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Roman.

<gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: Linking dynamic a static libraries
>Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:29:42 -0700
>
>Actually, you may want to put the static libraries last and then end
>your command line with a final -Wl,-Bdynamic:
>
>gcc -o myexecutable \
>-v \
>*.c \
>-Wl,-Bdynamic \
>-lfirst \
>-lsecond \
>-Wl,-Bstatic \
>-lthird \
>-Wl,-Bdynamic
>
>This is because if your dynamic libraries depend on symbols from your
>static libraries, they might not get picked up if you put the static
>libraries first.  The final -Wl,-Bdynamic will allow it to link in the
>standard libraries normally.
>
>Thanks,
>Lyle

Rozhodnite o tom, kto si s vami moze vymienat spravy a povedzte
priatelom o
MSN Messenger. http://messenger.msn.sk/