Re: why do i have an apple local C4 constructor in my arm-linux shared object symtable?

Ray Lehtiniemi <rayl@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> i am working with a binary shared object from a vendor.  it was
> apparently compiled using
>
>  GCC: (GNU) 3.3.1 (MontaVista 3.3.1-3.0.10.0300532 2003-12-23)

> now, my question is:  since the symbol came from a shared object
> cross-compiled from an x86 host for an arm xscale target, both
> running linux, why on earth would i have an apple-specific cloning
> constructor in the shared object?  should i be worried about this?
> the armv5b-softfloat-linux-objdump i created using crosstool doesn't
> want to demangle it, which is worrisome.

You are getting that type of mangled name--constructor type 4--because
MontaVista gcc includes a patch to generate those mangled names.  That
patch has never been in FSF gcc.  If you check the MontaVista source
RPM, you'll see it in a patch which they apply to the FSF sources.

> can someone please let me know if i can expect any trouble from
> this apple-specific symbol, or how it might have come to be placed
> into an arm shared object?

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't expect any problems.  If you do
have problems, talk to MontaVista.

Ian