Re: How to build a cross gcc from the very beginning?

Franklin wrote:
Hi list, Happy New Year!

I've been confused for a while about building a cross gcc from nothing.
The target platform of this requested gcc and glibc is mipsel-linux.

I googled a lot and had a conclusion.  It seems that I need to build a (minimal) cross gcc first, and use this gcc to build glibc, then build a complete cross gcc.  (Is that right?)

So I built binutils-2.15 first and installed into /usr/local/mipsel/target first.
Then I configured gcc as follows:

<shell command>
../gcc-3.2.3/configure --prefix=/usr/local/mipsel/target \
--host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --target=mipsel-linux --enable-languages=c \
--with-cpu=mipsel-linux --disable-threads
</shell command>

(I used gcc-3.2.3 because I need to compile linux-2.4.18 for mips...
 It seemed not a good idea to compile with gcc-3.3 or above.)

I used --disable-threads because it will ask for pthread.h, and at that time glibc had not been built yet.

After successfully configured, I typed:

make bootstrap

Do a make and not a bootstrap. Bootstrap tries to build GCC again with the GCC that has been built in the first stage. Further a bootstrap does not make sense for a cross compiler since the executables that the cross compiler would generate would be for mipsel-linux and not for i386-linux which is where I expect you would want your cross compiler to be running.

Also you could take a look at crosstool at www.kegel.com which is a useful set of scripts to build cross compilers.

cheers
Ramana