Re: Question about linking multiple copies of the same library

This usually works because the libraries are backwards compatible,

In general one would hope that to be true, but not in this case. Allow me to be more specific:

i am compiling on a GNU/Linux/Intel system.

I have a thirdparty library (libthird.so) that requires libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3
if libthird.so is linked against another newer version of libstdc++ then it will crash.

However, i wish to link the rest of my application against a newer version of libstdc++

is this possible? How do i set the options so that libthird.so resolves only against libstdc++-lib6.1-2.so.3 and the rest of the code links against the newest version of libstdc++?

Thanks to everyone for your help.