gcc v3.4.3 related question

I'm asking this question with the hope that my confidence will be strengthened that a future build option will solve my problem.

I am attempting to use boost.serialization library on a rather large shared library whose data needs to be persisted.

Presently, with the Boost v1.32.0 release, this library is only available as a static library (*.a).

I can successfully build and use my shared library when I have only a few serialize methods implemented.

However, when I add the rest (34), I get link errors associated with the booost.serialization library.

This doesn't appear to be related to a particular module. Instead it starts happening when about 14 serialize methods are added.

It should be noted that boost.serialization makes extreme use of templates.

Work is presently being done to make this library available as shared library.

My questions are:

1.  Is there an explaination for this problem?
2.  Will using a shared library instead of a static one likely help?
3.  Should I perhaps try older versions of gcc? (presently I'm using v3.4.3)