linker problem using gcc on osx

hello -- so yesterday i worked on getting the ATLAS math library from sourceforge to compile on my G4 laptop with OSX. none of the 3 apple bundled gcc's would work, so i downloaded a fresh version from gnu, which i compiled and installed. i was finally able to get ATLAS compiled, but now i'm having problems getting my other source code (c++) to compile. i think the ATLAS library compiled 100% correctly, but i can't test it with my code...

the problem:
it doesn't matter which of 4 compilers i use, when it is trying to link the object files, the ld command gives many errors (undefined symbols) - a different number depending on which compiler i tried. the errors look to me like they're c++ related, a lot of them are from std::

the apple compilers worked just fine before.
when i compiled gcc 3.4.3, i used the following configuration:
Configured with: ../gcc-3.4.3/configure --program-suffix=-3.4.3 --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,java
then, when i installed the gcc, i simply did the "make install" command recommended, which put all the stuff in my /usr/local directory.

so i've never compiled a compiler before, or monkeyed around with already installed compilers, etc. what might i have done wrong? i've probably made a simple mistake somewhere --
why wouldn't my compiler be able to find c++ symbols?

thanks!

Amos.