Re: Fwd: help for g++, please

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 05:42:16PM +0100, Anton Greil wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

these type of questions seem to turn up over and over again. Well, here
is an extract of a FAQ I plan to write/put online sometimes which might
answer a few of your questions. (any suggestions, changes, corrections
to this article more than welcome, of course)

<question>
Why can't gcc/g++ compile this quite simple C++ program?
</question>
<answer>
Most likely, your program is not compliant with the new C++ standard
(ANSI/ISO ...), i.e. it is not correct C++.

Here are a few things to check:

1) Make sure that your main function's return type is `int'.
   (void is not valid!)

2) Include all the necessary standard headers you're using.

   Note, that the standard headers don't have an extension--e.g.
   use `iostream' instead of `iostream.h'.

3) Utilize the `std' namespace.

   The STL (Standard Template Library) has its own namespace called
   `std'. In order to use an element of the STL you could

   a) explicitely specify the namespace:  <code lang="c++">std::cout
   &lt;&lt; "foo";</code>
   b) introduce selected members into the current namespace:
      <code lang="c++">use std::cout; cout &lt;&lt; "foo";</code>
   c) include the whole std namespace:
      <code lang="c++">using namespace std; cout &lt;&lt; "foo";</code>

Here is a complete, standard compliant (as of $today) "hello world"
C++ program:

<code lang="c++">
#include &lt;iostream&gt;

int main()
{
  using std::endl;

  std::cout &lt;&lt; "hello, world!" &lt;&lt; endl;
}
</code>
</answer>

But, as you didn't go into any detail and haven't provided any code, warning / error
messages from GCC you're on your own. If you have a problem you can't solve yourself
try to be more specific and elaborate a little on your problem. If possible/feasable
provide small complete example code which exhibits the problem.

> What about the actual C++ ISO standard and its realization by g++ ?
> What about please further developments in C++ ? Is there a web-site for
> this question?
> Where can I download please a corresponding C++ manual ?

The GCC team works very hard to totally adhere to the C++ ANSI/ISO standard. The
corresponding manual would be the most recent amendment of ISO 14882. For further
developments of C++ you could probably have a look at http://www.open-std.org.

HTH
--
Claudio