Re: gcc 3.4, explicit template instantiations and STL

At 05:15 PM 11/16/2004 +0000, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
Alain Roy wrote:
I'm writing a library that I would like to be able to compile with multiple versions of gcc on multiple platforms. The library is used by a larger project, and we need portability. Using the latest gcc is not always an option, so we live with multiple versions. I can't change this.
My library contains STL.
To avoid code bloat, it uses explicit template instantiation.
What platform(s) are you targetting? With ELF, implicit instantiations will
make the object files larger, but only one instantiation will actually
be copied to the executable.  (One per shared library, if those are
involved.)

At the moment:

Solaris 8, 9 (and maybe 10)
IRIX 6.5
Recent versions of Linux
Tru64 5.1
Mac OS X
AIX 5.2
HPUX 11

ELF isn't used on all of those platforms.

-frepo might help you too. It does the leg work of working out which
things to explicitly instantiate.

I'll check it out--thanks.

-alain