Re: gcc install

Hi Mike,

>Is there a short tutorial on how to install Window's version of gcc on an x86 machine?

There are several ways to do it.

For pre-built binaries, there are three options:
1) Get MinGW from http://www.mingw.org/

2) Get Cygwin's SETUP.EXE from http://www.cygwin.com/
Run the SETUP program.
Click through the panels until you get to the component selection.
Select EVERYTHING by cycling through the topmost item on the tree.
(This will give you an excellent Unix-ish environment to work in.)
(It also includes MinGW from #1.)

3) As per #2, but be selective.  #2 takes a while to fetch and install.

Your other options are to get the source code, create the compiler (you'll need a C compiler to bootstrap the process). Whether you go the MinGW or the Cygwin route to get GCC is your decision. I'm not aware of there being a non-MinGW/non-Cygwin option for the GCC compiler on Windows.

There are FAQs at both sites.

HTH,
--Eljay