Re: Newbie Question for Windows

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Buck-C wrote:

> A friend of mine that has a fair amount of C programming experience and I,
> who has no experience in programming in C, are looking for a common compiler
> on which he can program and I can learn to program in C (and all variations,
> C++ etc.)  I am familiar with the Microsoft Visual methods of programming in
> various languages and applications.  Primarily I would like to learn and use
> the C compiler/GUI on Windows, but I would like to think that what I learn
> can carry over to the Linux box as well, should I decide to program in
> Linux.  From what I understand, GCC and its various libraries are available
> for Windows.  Neither of us has ever worked with GCC and know nothing about
> it.  Below are several questions.  Thank you all in advance for your
> patience and answers.
>
> From where do I download GCC for Windows in a usable format?

You could try mingw : http://www.mingw.org There are two packages there
: mingw which provides headers and libraries and the gnu compilers, to
compile native windows programs and libraries, and msys, which provides
all the autotools, commonly used on linux.

There exist some IDE : dev-c++ (http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html) or
Visual-mingw (http://visual-mingw.sourceforge.net/) or Mingw Developper
Studio (http://www.parinya.ca/, see products)

> Is GCC a good compiler on which to learn C?

i think so. It is more close to the norm than microsoft products

> What all do I need to download and install to have a complete and usable
> compiler?

see mingw.org web site, and its mailing lists for further information.

hope this help

regards

Vincent TORRI