Help Needed On Porting Issue

Hi,

I am from a company where we have developed a new DSP-type Processor and plan to port an RTOS onto it for use with some wireless Stuff. For this, we wanted to port the GCC toolchain for our processor. We have outsourced it to another company and now, I am made incharge of it from the time it is delivered to us (means, I'd be responsible to fix any bugs that arise at later date and provide customer support for the same).
Problem: I have never worked at Sub-Compiler level. Im very comfortable with C and some popular command line options of gcc and ld. Nothing much more than that (plus ofcourse using some utilities like nm etc etc). I would like some guidence from a good samaritan on the aspects of Porting GCC toolchain (What part of the entire code needs to be changed? What are the pitfalls to watch for when I receive the ported version? etc...).

What I have Done: I have been Bugging Mr. Google for information regarding this, but somehow the results were not satisfactory. Then I tried looking at the source code and decided against it when my deadline arrived.

  Now, Im really stuck and desperately need help.

Thank you in advance for any help you extend. (I'd greatly appreciate if you can atleast provide me with some links that might be useful or serve as a guide).

Warm Regards,
Sriharsha.

--
Sriharsha Vedurmudi