Re: gcc for unix system

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004, EMPEROR wrote:

> I am trying to install gcc on a unix system.I dont know
> my processor [...]
Try OpenPKG [1] from source, it'll find out. You need the bootstrap
package, make, binutils and gcc. Have a look at the tutorial [2] or give
it a dry run viewing the showcase [3] (animated GIF). You can even build
and install OpenPKG as unprivileged user.

If the build fails at least you'll get GNU shtool 2.0 with the download.
It'll help you even if you decide not to go the OpenPKG route. It is
available from OSSP [4].

Find out which arch-os (used to name OpenPKG binary RPMs)
$ shtool platform -t binary

Find CPU/system architecture/product/technology in human readable format
$ shtool platform -t all-in-one

[1] http://www.openpkg.org/
[2] http://www.openpkg.org/tutorial.html
[3] http://www.openpkg.org/showcase.html