Re: Error message running configure on Sun Solaris 8

"McGregor, Van" <VMcGregor@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Help,
> Never having installed gcc on a Sun box.  How do I interpret the following message?  What needs to be done to configure.  Thanks for your help.
> Van
>
> Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 host.
> Created "Makefile" in /u01/gccobj using "mh-frag"
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> *** The command '/usr/ucb/cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Go to www.sunfreeware.com .

GCC is written in C (mostly), therefor you need a C compiler to build
    it from source. Either install the solaris language optional
    package (which I recall having high per-seat licensing costs), or
    get a pre-compiled gcc binary. I believe www.sunfreeware.com still
    distributes pre-compiled gcc binaries for solaris. The FSF and
    gcc.gnu.org do not distribute pre-compiled binaries for any
    platform, but they do have a list of links to other sites that do;
    see gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html .