Re: 3.4.0 on solaris fails on install

At 05:46 PM 4/21/2004, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
On Apr 21, 2004, "J.D. Bronson" <jd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I used a precompild gcc 2.95.3 and build gcc 3.4.0 just fine.
> However the install fails!

Ugh.  INSTALL_PROGRAM is passed from the top level to all subdirs, so
it doesn't work when srcdir is relative.  I suspect this is why we say
we don't support objdir as a subdir of srcdir in the installation
documentation: people will tend to use relative pathnames for that.

I suppose it will work if you run

make install INSTALL_PROGRAM=/full/path/to/src/install-sh

Please file a bug report on this, such that this doesn't get lost.  At
the very least, the documentation should be changed to make it clear
that relative pathnames are not expected to work.

Thanks,

I will try this. However, I never had any issues until just now.

Usually I do this :

unzip gcc into /junk

cd /junk/gcc*
mkdir obj
cd obj
../configure BLAH
make bootstrap
make install

isnt that that the normal and recommended way?

..I tried this same way (above) on my FreeBSD 5.2.1 system and it built 100% fine. So could this be a solaris issue? - I am running solaris10 beta...

-- J.D. Bronson Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA Office: 414.978.8282 // Email: jd@xxxxxxxxxx // Pager: 414.314.8282