Re: GCC 3.3.3 Build Problem

William Ly <wlyx540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thanks heaps!! =)
>
> Disabling Java support made the build successful...but why doesn't it
> support Java?

I don't know. Disabling Java is a work-around, not a real answer. Your
    redhat 7.3 box may have too old a version of some tool the Java
    frontend requires, there may be a bug in gcc, etc.

There is a post at gcc.gnu.org/buildstat.html for someone building gcc
    3.3 on rh 7.2: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-05/msg01608.html
    . So gcc 3.3.3 on rh 7.3 *should* be possible.

Seeing there's missing .S file complained about in the build, try
    updating your binutils. It's a shot in the dark, though.

> To test g++, I made a simple "Hello World" program and it compiled fine
> but when I tried to run it, it gave me the error:
>
> ./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open
[snip]

libstdc++.so.5 is installed into <prefix>/lib . By default, <prefix>
    is /usr/local . The dynamic linker - ld.so(8) - first looks for
    dynamic libraries in /etc/ld.so.cache, and then looks in
    directories listed in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH .

/etc/ld.so.cache is updated by running ldconfig(8) . It reads a list
    of directories from /etc/ld.so.conf and records the libraries
    found in /etc/ld.so.cache .

So read the ldconfig(8) and ld.so(8) man pages, and then either add
    dir (probably /usr/local/lib) libstdc++.so.5 is in to your
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or add it to /etc/ld.so.conf and re-run
    ldconfig.