compiling gcc for multiple targets?

I've done a google search on this, but most of the information I found
was old and the crossgcc list no longer exists, so I thought I would
bring it up again.

Is there any way to compile gcc and related utils (binutils, gdb) for
multiple targets in one binary? So I want to compile it to support both
Solaris intel and m68hc11 in one gcc instead of having separate binaries
for each?

If I cannot do this, but have to compile separate versions
(--program-prefix=m6811-elf) are there any issues wrt to libraries if
they are installed to the same place? libiberty.so for example?

Thanks in advance.

--
Carl B. Constantine         University of Victoria
Programmer Analyst          http://www.csc.uvic.ca