RE: Can't install gcc 3.2 alongside gcc 2.96 on Red Hat 7.3

Jonathan,

If you're really concerned about overwriting other files, then configure
GCC using the --prefix option and tell it where to put the files.  For
example, you could use --prefix=/opt/gcc3.  That way you can put it in a
totally independent directory that won't interfere with anything else on
your system.  And, then in the worst case, you can "uninstall" it by
simply removing that directory tree.  This is my preferred way of
installing separate versions of GCC.  Much cleaner in my opinion that
sticking everything under /usr/local, or worse, /usr...

Then, use the --program-suffix option to give your GCC commands a name
different than the system one.  That way, you can add /opt/gcc3/bin to
your PATH and people can choose which compiler they want simply by using
the right command - gcc would be the system compiler, gcc3 (or whatever
you want) would be the new compiler.

Make sense?

Lyle