Help with GCC internals

Hi all,
I'm trying to modify GCC to emit some specialized STABS annotations. More specifically, I want to mark memory instructions at parsing and have them pass all the way through lowering, and the back-end, such that I can emit STABS directives associated with these instructions. I have two questions:

1. How do I pass information through RTX? I see that I can modify the Tree data structure just fine (struct tree_common in tree.h), but rtx (struct rtx_def in rtl.h) is highly specialized, with multiple uses for the same memory in a not completely clear way. Its hinted that rtx NOTES and other attribute rtx's do this for me. But I can see problems with the scheduler, especially because it doesn't know about any new specialized "NOTES" rtx that I might use.

2. Are there specialized intermediate representation dumps? I've found the '-dX' dumps. Is there a way to increase the amount of information associated with these dumps, or through some other dumps? Can these dumps describe more clearly control flow information like predecessor and successor block? Further is there a way to associate insn numbers with the assembly?

Thanks very much
-Wei

Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963