Re: can't find libg2c.so.0 at run-time

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 03:50:45PM -0800, Mark Rashid wrote:

> I just built and installed gcc-3.3.2 on my machine (RedHat Linux 7.0), and
> used g77 to compile a very simple fortran program.  Upon running this
> program, I get:
>
> error while loading shared libraries:  libg2c.so.0:  cannot load shared
> object file:  No such file or directory.

Someone posted a message about the same problem yesterday. Read
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2004-02/msg00032.html and the related
messages in the mail archive.

> libg2c.so.0 exists alright, in /usr/local/lib, which is in my path.

The PATH is where your shell (and probably other programs) finds your
programs. It has nothing to do with locating shared libraries.

> Not sure why a shared object is needed at run-time anyway.  Does
> this indicate that the compiler/assembler has created an executable
> that is "missing" something?

Read 'man ld.so'.

HTH
--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X