X86 Built-in Functions

All of the SSE functions listed in the gcc manual return a value, i.e. we have

v4sf __builtin_ia32_mulps (v4sf, v4sf)

which returns the component-wise product of the two given vectors.  However,
the actual sse instruction mulps is accumulator-based.  This seems to make
gcc use quite a few temp registers when you call mulps, since it's trying to
give a return value for an instruction that doesn't work that way.  Is there
any gcc builtin command set that uses accumulation, rather than returning
values?  That would really be nice, since that's how the instructions
actually work, and that's really how I want to use them.  Thanks for any
feedback.

PS, please reply-to-all, since I'm not subscribed to this list.