gcc -Wl,--subsystem,windows -mwindows options

-Wl,--subsystem,windows -mwindows

What exactly do these gcc options do?  Are they preprocessor, compiler, or
linker options?  Sometimes I only need -windows; sometimes I need both.  How
do I know when I will need both or just -mwindows?

I know they are needed when creating MS Windows apps, but I'm not clear on
what they are doing.  Up to now, I've included these options rather
mindlessly in my MS Windows apps, but I'd like to know more about them.

The gcc documentation lists several "Hardware Models and Configurations" -m
options, but -mwindows is not listed.

The gcc documentation also states -Wl,option will "Pass option as an option
to the linker. If option contains commas, it is split into multiple options
at the commas," but I can't find any information on what the option
"--subsystem,windows" does.

Thanks for the information.

Glenn Carlson